AAAI-23 Call for Diversity and Inclusion Activities
February 7 – 14, 2023
Walter E. Washington Convention Center
Washington DC, USA
Sponsored by the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence
Call for Proposals
- Diversity and Inclusion Proposal Submission Site
(Please select “AAAI-23 Diversity and Inclusion”)
- Wednesday, September 14, 2022: Electronic submissions due
- Friday, September 30, 2022: Notification of acceptance or rejection
Participation in AI by groups that are underrepresented in computer science is a fraction of what is needed to have an AI workforce that reflects diversity in society. Diversity has many facets, including race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and cultural background.
We invite submissions of proposals for activities that help broaden participation in the AI field. Activities can range from meetings for specific groups to panels, workshops to discuss the current situation and to propose changes, reports on outreach activities, and more. Example topics and activities include new open research questions that affect diversity in AI, mentoring activities for students from underrepresented groups, community-building for young researchers (graduate students and postdocs), activities to expose undergraduates to research or K-12 students to AI, and reports on successes at increasing and sustaining diversity.
Proposals should be short (2 pages, in pdf) and should address the following:
- What activity is proposed and its specific objectives?
- Who will be the chair of the activity?
- What is the target audience (e.g., academics, industry, graduate students, undergraduate students)?
- What is the expected number of participants?
- Duration of the proposed activity (e.g., 1/2 day, 1 day, 2 hours).
- Will the activity be by invitation only or will it involve an open call for participation/registration/submission? What is the expected timeline (including submission deadline and notification)?
- Funding needed (if any) and potential sources of funding.
- Volunteer support needed (if any). Specify how many, for how long, and for what (e.g. “two volunteers, for 0.5 hr, to distribute materials”, or “two volunteers, for 0.5 hr at opening and closing, to rearrange seating into discussion groups”).
For More Information
Inquiries concerning submissions and suggestions for diversity and inclusion activities may be directed to the diversity and inclusion cochairs at email@example.com. All other inquiries should be directed to AAAI at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity and Inclusion Activities Cochairs
Kalesha Bullard (Deep Mind London, UK)
Joydeep Biswas (University of Texas Austin, USA)